Sahagún is a town in the province of León, Spain. It is the main town of the Leonese section of the Tierra de Campos comarca.
Sahagún is notable for containing some of the earliest examples of the mudéjar style of architecture. It lies on the Way of St. James.
The initial town arose due to the adjacent Benedictine Monastery consecrated to the saints Facundus and Primitivus. The name Sahagúnputatively derives from an abbreviation and variation on the name San Fagun (“Saint Facundus”).
The monastery acquired importance during the reign of Alfonso III de Asturias, and reached its greatest splendor during the reign of Alfonso VI of Castile. On November 25, 1085, this latter king promulgated the edicts known as the Fuero de Sahagún, which gave a number of privileges to the Monastery and town, fomenting its growth. The king favoured the Cluniac order and the monastery was known as the “Spanish Cluny”.
Friction often erupted into disputes between the townsfolk and the monastery in the mid-12th century, as recorded in the Crónicas anónimas de Sahagún. The monastery was very important on the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela, and in the 14th century housed a University (see also List of early modern universities in Europe). In the 19th century, the monastery was disbanded and the structure nearly completely razed.